Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Here goes...

What exactly does one post the first time out?  I've never had a blog before.  I once had a Live Journal account (that shows you how old I am), but I was in my early twenties and had absolutely nothing of substance of which to talk about.

So, why start blogging now?

I wanted to start this blog to document my journey as a stay-at-home Mom.  On August 31, 2012, I left a very, very good job and a very, very good paycheck, closed both eyes and jumped both feet first into a completely new life.

The journey to that point was not easy.  I feared what coworkers would say and what friends would think.  I feared how my family would feel and if I'd find any kind of support.  I was so overcome by fear of others - both those close to me and those that represent that vague term "society" - that I was afraid to even bring up the topic with my husband while I was on maternity leave.  It seemed like such a ridiculous and incomprehensible idea.  People don't leave jobs like mine with the kind of security, stability, salary, and future I had.  You certainly don't leave a job like that to "throw it all away" to stay at home and listen to the Toddler Radio on Pandora all day. 

The amazing thing is that the answer was so glaringly obvious to me.  I knew what I wanted.  I knew it would make me happy.  And yet I spent a year consumed with how it would make everyone else feel. 

I wanted to start this blog because I'm sure there are others out there just like me.  As I considered the switch, I turned to the internet to see what kinds of articles or advice there was for women considering leaving a good job to stay at home.  There was very little.  Most of the articles were centered around the woman leaving her job because it was "economical" - daycare cost what the woman (or man!) was bringing in monthly.

My hope is that this blog will not only be a resource for those that are considering making the change, but also melting pot of ideas, articles, and vignettes as I stumble my way through this new world of play dates and Sesame Street, Gymboree and toddlerhood.  Maybe it will evolve into something more.  Maybe it will turn out to be an entire blog dedicated to nothing.  Maybe no one will read and I will sink away into a place where websites go to die - I think that's where MySpace went.

So there you have it.  My first post.  We'll see how this goes... 

1 comment:

  1. Lindsay- I commend your decision because I can imagine how difficult it was to go against the grain of society, others, and a tempting monetary incentive. I commend your blog because I'm sure there are many other women who struggle with the same inner debate and will benefit from your support... And I commend you for listening to your gut (no pun intended on your maiden name:)... "The amazing thing is that the answer was so glaringly obvious to me. I knew what I wanted. I knew it would make me happy." - This is key. You listened to your soul and trusted- and that is and always will be the road that leads to purposeful living. Bravo!
    If I had any critique it would be in regard to that inner critic/skeptic (that we all possess) that reared its ugly head at the end of your entry; "Maybe no one will read and I will sink away into a place where websites go to die"... If one person reads your post and is inspired, it will have been worth it. Well, I guess you’re already a success! Best Wishes as you continue to follow your bliss!

    ReplyDelete